Saturday, July 21, 2007

Let's go see a waterfall, eh?

O.k. - so today was the day that the kids watched much more dvds than we normally would allow - but right now it's all about keeping the peace. We did have one glorious section of time (which we had to hijack) when we listened to the cd mix Runcie made for our trip (nice wholesome stuff: Van Halen, Steve Miller Band, Rolling Stones, John Cougar Mellancamp, and Alman Bros., just to name a few).
We talked at length about how vast the US is- not only geographically, but socially and culturally as well.




We passed about a zillion farms and the crop of choice was grapes. We followed I-90 up the shore of Lake Erie -you can see the water soak up the horizon in one of the pics. I also included one pic of the most unique road sign along the way.

After about a 4 hours in the car, we arrived at Niagra Falls - again very much what we didn't expect. Instead of a lush, tree-filled, curvy drive that opened into roaring falls (what I was picturing..), the road that led to the falls was filled with skyscrapers and industrial buildings with lots of pipes and toxic looking machinery... I guess civilization got ahold of this place before the conservationists...
Once we arrived at the park (which reminded us of a northern version of Gatlinburg)we headed straight for the Maid of the Mist. We trekked out to the dangerously high observation decks, to load some super sonic-fast elevators, which dropped us several hundred feet below to where the falls, ... well, fall.


Then we boarded the boat (Maid of the Mist) which took us dangerously close to the falls. When we got close to the falls, water was everywhere-but we didn't get wet, thanks to the fashionably-conscious, full length, blue parkas, which were part of the admission price.


Amazing - absolutely amazing.... Once you get past the tickets, and the parking, etc, etc... There is positively nothing that could take away from the beauty and power of this creation. Really gets me thinking about how big our God is....
We headed back to our minivan for the crossing of the border. Now I'll be honest, I was a little nervous about it... but, it's easier to leave the country and enter a new one, than to board a Southwest flight - really. I wonder if it will be as easy to go home ....
Our hotel, fabulous view of the horseshoe part of the falls... our whole exterior wall is a floor to ceiling view... Anyway, we arrived in our room late afternoon and just had some r&r time...
We had dinner at the Watermark at the top of the Hilton. The views were incredible. As we were finishing up dinner, the waiter pointed out the tight-rope walker - you can actually see him in one of the pics of our view - look for the long horizontal balance bar he is holding.




Dessert was enjoyed on our walk home... and then it was off to bed for the kiddos...

The quote of the day was from our little Runcie: "Fireworks is when the sky gets really angry."

4 comments:

Kathryn said...

I have read many Amish books that take place in Lancaster Pennsylvania, and I really want to go there, not to mention see a Pirates game.

Everyone looks so rested and happy, and I am exhausted just reading about what you are doing.

Love to all!!

Kathryn said...

p.s I forwarded your website to the Moughon's in case you didn't

Doc Paul said...

I read a bio of Nikola Tesla about a year or two ago, and harnessing the power of the Niagara River to convert it into electricity figures prominently. He and Thomas Edison were rivals (sort of the Steve Jobs and Bill Gates of their day). A lot of that industrialization that makes that area unattractive dates to the late 19th and early 20th century, when Tesla and Edison were competing to introduce electricity to industry.

I was disappointed in Niagara Falls, the city, too, when we went there when the twins were a year and a half old (1993). I remember they were asleep when we arrived, so we took the blue slickers, laid them out on the concrete, laid the twins on top of them, and carried them aboard. I just had to take some photos of the falls, of course, so Angela was left holding two damp twins in slippery slickers while I worked the camera. I took a picture of her staring daggers at me - it's a family favorite!

I do agree that although the industrial plants subtract from the area, the falls themselves are magnificent. I also remember the Canadian side being quite a bit nicer, with gardens and a nice walkway.

Thanks for the blog, and travel safely!

Paul

Donna said...

Paul,
Thanks for the info about the development around the falls.. that helps explain it - and a funny story to boot! I need to see that pic .
Kat,
Interesting, Amish books - I'd love to read some too - I don't know if you saw Oprah and Gayle's road trip last summer (Runcie wanted me to state clearly that I am writing as he has never watched an entire episode of Oprah) - but they interviewed some Amish folks - it looked fascinating...