Friday, July 27, 2007

Our Last Day Here

Our morning began by going to breakfast in the Sagamore Dining Room. It's a buffet style breakfast - and a little fancy. Well, fancy enough to make me a little nervous about excited and happy, and sometimes willful children. But I must say, I was really proud of them and we all enjoyed our time together. We sat outside and enjoyed the sights and sounds of the lake coming to life.
After breakfast, we decided to take the kids on a horse and buggy tour around the island (Sagamore is on Green Island- almost all belongs to the resort with the exception of a few private residences). All three of our children got to sit on the front row of the surrey - and even hold the reigns. They felt quite empowered.




We were all eager to get down to the lake and enjoy our last day here. Thankfully, it was still warm enough to make the most of our lake experience. All three of the kids have made great strides in their swimming, and fun was had by all. Runcie especially enjoyed making a "lake" in the sand area - and making some new friends as well. The cool, brisk water was not only enjoyed by the kids, but Runcie and I as well. Leaving will be sad for me, as I know it will be several years before we come back. There's something about the sparkling lakes, rocky shores, strong pines, and mountains reaching for the sky - that make me feel quite at home here.
Lunch was eaten on a dock side restaurant over looking the lake. Again, the kids were good and made life a little easier for Runcie and me. Of course, we found some hungry ducks who were more than eager to enjoy some of our leftovers.
After lunch, I took the kids back to our room for some rest time, while Runcie took care of our laundry. Fortunately, there was a wash and fold service right down the street that he was more than happy to utilize.





We were fortunate enough to have Brittany, our local sitter here, come and watch the kids so we could have one last dinner together before we set off for our trip tomorrow. The Club Grille serves up steaks and seafood - and is on the resort's stunning golf course. There were some beautiful views of the lake and the mountains, and dinner was equally enjoyable.
After dinner, we decided to peruse the downtown village area. We stumbled in a few shops and got a couple of trinkets to help remember our time here.
At home I began the arduous task of packing for 3 days of unknown destinations for our family and putting the remainder of our things in other suitcases. Thankfully, Runcie was kind enough to prop up his feet which provided more room for packing headquarters-(see in picture below - we had a good laugh when we saw his feet propped up in the midst of my diligent packing and sorting). Actually - he was working on the computer to determine where we'll 'land' tomorrow.
As of this moment it is still unsure - We were planning on Boston, but the hotel we wanted to stay was booked up - We'll see...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for all your posts -- have immensely enjoyed following you all!!! Glad your sweet children were so well behaved. Tell them I'm proud of them too!

Would have written sooner but I'm not as computer literate as my children. Guess this gizmo doesn't like my going off-site to remember how to spell Heelys (I think Rebekah got some -- ya'll could have races!) or to find info for you on the Catskill Game Farm, which I discovered closed last year. :-(

Reading your posts were especially fun for me because I have very dim memories of going to Lake George as a child (lived in Schenectady till I was 8) ... was afraid to get in the water because I thought the fish would bite me, and then realized the real danger was the water temperature!

Donna said...

Hey Mary (Runcie here),

I was a little reluctant to get in the water the first couple of days because I knew it would be cold, and it wasn't that hot outside.

Once we had a couple of hot,sunny days though, I couldn't resist. About 20 seconds after jumping in, your body adjusts and gets a little numb. It is so refreshing it's hard to describe. I will really miss it up here.